Long stay visa for studies

Long stay visa for studies more than 90 days

- During the validity of their visa, holders of a long stay (D) visa are authorized to travel within the other Schengen States without a Schengen visa (for a maximum of 90 days within a six month period)

- If you plan to stay in France mainly for a sabbatical stay but you are taking a French language class part-time and staying also for tourism, you should apply for a long stay "visitor" visa.


- YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:

Andorra Austria Belgium Bulgaria Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark
Estonia Finland Germany Great-Britain Greece Hungary Iceland
Ireland Italy Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
Monaco The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania San Marino
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Vatican

- B1-B2 visa holders: You must apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.


About 10 to 14 calendar days once a complete file has been presented by the applicant. Incomplete file cannot be processed.

Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute. You may apply no earlier than 3 months before your departure date.

Due to a high number of applicants and limited appointment slots during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, we strongly suggest to apply at least 20 days before your departure or if possible as soon as you have all the documents in order to avoid delays. There is no expedite process.


Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document listed including passport and relevant pages.

We insist that you take the utmost care of presenting a complete visa application on the day of your appointment. Our office is not responsible for delays or missed flights of incomplete or last minute visa application, it is the responsibility of the visa applicant to provide a complete file PRIOR to the visa appointment.

PDF - 481.7 kb
Application requirements student visa (click to download)

If you have difficulty downloading the forms found on the "application requirements student visa" list above, you can download them below:
Long stay application form
Notary form
Long stay or "temporary stay" form
OFII form

Refugee travel documents and US Re-entry permits are not accepted.
Diplomatic and special passports are not accepted


  • The consular administration has full authority to evaluate AND REQUEST MORE DOCUMENTS than those submitted by the applicant.
  • Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
  • The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.

Dernière modification : 19/04/2017

top of the page